Sunday, June 13, 2010

Tango and World Cup

Well after work on Friday I went back with Sara and Peter to Peter´s house. The plan for that evening was to attend Peter´s brother and sister´s tango performance at a cafe in the center of the city. Peter´s brother Ishmael is 17 and his sister Carolina is 16. We went to downtown La Paz to a small cafe, Cafe Berlin. How this tango night worked was Ishmael teaches tango and also takes classes so tonight was a kind of get together for everyone in the classes and you were welcome to bring friends. The night started off by people casually dancing tango. When I say casually I mean they all were really really good. I couldn´t believe how good of dancers everyone was. Needless to say I neither Peter nor I were dancing. Then about 3/4 a way through the night everyone cleared the dance floor so that Ishael and Carolina could do their tango performance . . . WOW. They did two dances and they were incredible. After that the dancing between everyone continued with more tango and salsa. Now I know how salso a little so by the very last song I did a little salsa with Carolina. I´m sure everyone was thinking, "look at that gringo trying to dance." Peter and I decided that Ishmael is going to have to teach us some tango so that we can impress some people when we get back to the states.
On Saturday Peter´s mom and sister made us some delicious pancakes, but insteadof syrup they use this sweet type of thick condensed milk that comes out of a can. It was delicious, and I also used some jam on my pancakes. We kind of hung around his house until around 1:00 until we went to the Mega Center, a type of mall, where there is a movie theater. We were going to the movie theater because they televise some of the World Cup games on the big screen. And we weren´t going to miss seeing England and the US play. The game was awesome to see on the big screen even with that goal by Clint Demsey, hey a goal is a goal. We decided after the game that we needed to go downstairs to a grocery store and buy a relatively cheap soccer ball in spirit of the world cup. We walked home from the mega center to Peter´s house, kicking and juggling the ball the entire way, its a pretty good hike.
I forgot to metion that Peter had met a guy on the plane around 26, who was also going to Bolivia for 10 weeks to learn the language and culture. Fred met up with us to see the game and while we were waiting we got to talking about what we are doing here in Bolivia. Surprisingly enough he is also interested in renewable energy and has even heard of this gasification process we are working on. So I think he is going to come to work with us sometime to see what exactly we are doing and maybe give some input.
This Sunday was pretty uneventful, just watched some of the world cup, and Julio had some of his family over for a late lunch, in which we pulled the tv closer to the table and all crowded around one side to watch Germany and Austrailia play. That should give you an idea of just how much they love soccer (football) down here.
A little bit of bad news, my camera has stopped working. I can still view all of my pictures, but it won´t allow me to take any. Julio´s son, Ricardo mentioned that his cousin is pretty good with cameras, so hopefully I can get in touch with him and get it fixed.

Until next time,

Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment